A blog in general about Romania and my feelings at the moment, with a focus on design, branding, art and anything else that inspires me.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Yesterday it was Shame, today it's Fame

Yesterday, an anonymous poster said in response to my Hall of Shame of Romanian Web Design that:

Yelling is all we can do...
He's probably right about that :) Seems to be a Romanian trait... Anyway, that's not the purpose of this blog, which seeks to promote Romania but at the same time analyse and overanalyse it. So, I decided we also need a Hall of Fame for Romanian Web Design, a listing of websites of companies that have lifted Romanian design into world-class status and that could safely compete with companies in other European countries.

I've picked three "winners", and they are:

  • Connex. A company I really admire, due both to its world-class mobile services as well as due to its social projects such as Tu Faci Viitorul. Personally, I don't like the new design so much, but it's professional nonetheless, and the fact that it's coded with XHTML/CSS is an added bonus.
  • Ministerul Comunicaţiilor şi Tehnologiei Informaţiei - it's great to see a government department having such a nice website. Yes, I know they're meant to, because they deal with IT, but nonetheless, it's a nice, world-class site that's easy to use and has comprehesive content.
  • BeYou Trend - one of the best Romanian sites I've seen, this Iaşi-based fashion company uses XHTML/CSS to create a really professional, outstanding site in this industry.
Other sites I should nominate are: RDSLink and TVR. The TVR site is fairly disappointing because it uses many old-school techniques, but their actual marketing campaign offline is very good. I like Imaginea timpului tău, and I also like their TV presentation that they show in between programs. And they have a webcast! Great stuff.

I should also commend the e-government efforts of the government - their sites e-licitaţie and e-guvernare have been appreciated worldwide.

And maybe you know some other good Romanian showcase sites that deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home